Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Eight Tracks

Thinking about the days when I rode to work with my Dad in that white work van. We listened and sang to music on our way to the job. Van Halen’s first album was jamming in the eight track player with my Dad singing along. It is a great memory. Yes, it was on eight track and they are that long ago. We also enjoyed Def Leppard’s first album on eight track before anyone was pouring sugar on themselves.

Now it is iPods and MP3s and I am deeply concerned.

My wife once sprung a date night on me to go see a laser show synchronized with Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon”. The host let us know the music came from original black licorice and that we would get a break before side two. That is when experience of the moment hit me.

During the break I made a commitment. My children will not compress their world into 140 character “tweets”. So in my man cave there is a turntable that can play my father’s record collection to make sure we try to pass the tradition of family music along as best that I can. My oldest girl was soon jamming to Uriah Heep. I used to sing “The Wizard” with my Dad when I was very young and now we carry the tradition by singing the chorus of “Lady in Black” together.

The basement is family ground where a mess is allowed. When I think about it, I play the music from this record collection and think about the lessons my Dad has taught me so I can connect those great moments to my children as well.

FYI: Side one of “Dreamboat Annie” by Heart, is a good date night record.

No comments:

Post a Comment