Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Advice From a Father to a Father

Sometimes, I feel like life is SO hectic...I mean crazy busy. My wife and I have 3 boys, aged 19, 17, and 15. All 3 are athletes, the oldest 2 playing competitive tennis and the youngest a Level 10 gymnast. It is not unusual for me to be in California with the gymnast, while my wife is in Tucson or Albuquerque with our USTA tennis player on any given weekend. The oldest stays home to go to college classes, work, and take care of the 2 dogs, Saucy and Callan. So, I was talking with Dad last weekend and I was basically "complaining" about the insanity that is our world. Dad is 73, and raised 4 kids, working 2 jobs. When I think back to my childhood, Dad was always there for us, but there were many weekdays where he worked his 7-3 job, then went to his 2nd job, electrical wiring new homes, until 8 or 9 PM. He would walk in after a long day, eat some dinner that was left from 5:30 meal, and sit downstairs and watch a little TV before he went up to bed. He was a great father figure for me and I learned a lot about work ethic, honesty, and the value of helping others. Dad used to say all the time, "nah, no payment necessary, someday, I may need a favor from you." I have always modeled my life after my Dad's principles and I think it has made me a better person. So this weekend, when we were talking (and I was complaining), Dad dropped some more wisdom on me that honestly made me feel ashamed that I was complaining. He said, "Mark, enjoy these days now, because before you know it, they will be over." I thought about my Dad, and Mom, who really have a great life back in Illinois. They are in good health, money is not an issue for them, their 50th wedding anniversary is in 15 days, and his "to do" list consists of; mow the lawn, go in to town and have coffee, and thaw some brats for dinner, and I just smile. When we were growing up, I always knew that Dad loved me, but with him, it was always a more of an unspoken thing. As I hung up on Sunday, I told him that he was right, and I loved him for keeping my head on straight. Funny how his life experiences are still a learning opportunity for me as I approach 50 years old. I can only hope that I pass on the important things to my boys, as my Dad did to me. Honesty...integrity...compassion...work ethic...the list goes on. As the saying goes..."the older you get, the wiser your parents get. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, this made me tear up. Seriously. I share with you a reverence for what our parents did for us. Thanks for the reminder to keep listening.

    ReplyDelete