Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dad's who travel...a lot

For six (almost 7) years I have been working as a consultant for an awesome company, Synecticsworld, and it at times requires me to be on the road 75% of the time and sometimes internationally which means no return trips for 2-4 weeks. I wanted to reach out to other dad's who travel and see how they help the kids (and the wife) cope with being away so much.

What I have done in the past:
  • Send postcards from every new city I visit (lost it's appeal to the kids)
  • Bring home trinkets, hats, t-shirts (gets expensive)
  • skype and more skype (internationally works great)
  • The piece de la resistance...I had a great client fly my family out to Australia for 4 weeks last summer instead of me doing 2 additional roundtrips (now my kids think you fly business class everywhere)
I was hoping to hear from you dads out there for new ways to keep the peace at home, still be a dad and keep everyone happy...

4 comments:

  1. Joe, I empathize. While I'm not traveling as much anymore, when I did travel, there was always that voice in my head asking me what I was missing at home. It puts a lot of pressure on our spouses, too -- something they should be commended for. I certainly don't have the answers to your questions -- but I'm going to anxiously await to see the responses of those who do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No answers, just effort on little things. I travel about 50% of the time, and that daily phone call, plus not slacking around the house when I am home makes a big difference.

    It also helps that my company does many of the little things right. They send cards and small gifts on holidays and when significant family events take place. That helps my wife deal with the travel because she likes who I work for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @steve. Such a great point about not slacking around the house. I have a tendency to just want to be home after being away for a week...or hunkering down in my office. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never get used to departures. For twenty years in the army I had no choices of when I would leave and when I would be back. Today I have the choice and I am reachable at all time. I pick my day and time that I will depart and when I am coming back.

    Communication makes a huge difference, to have the ability to send an email, a text, or even chat over Skype or Google Talk instantly. The kids loves to have this opportunity.

    My 4 daughters understand that I do what I do for them and work is needed to generate an income. They fully understand this and they support me all the time.

    I have read somewhere something very true:

    Family first, which means work first :-)

    I agree with Steve and Others, when you come back from working on the road for three weeks you fell like doing nothing. You have to kick yourself into gear and spend some quality time with them. Then you rest.

    Best regards to all

    Clement

    ReplyDelete