Monday, December 1, 2014

Who is really the teacher here?

In these times Thanksgiving can be much more than Turkey Thursday. It is a four day swirl of stress and joy. There might be many families to visit, distant family we cannot be with, food prep, football, and impending “Black Friday” to prepare for Christmas before we have finished enjoying the feeling of saying “Thank You” instead of shouting out “I want that!”.

I just completed four days with my wonderful kids and I want to say thanks to them. We kept it modest and toned down. Including a wonderful feast with my Nephew, Sister, and her Husband. We just enjoyed time together and they did not complain once that it is simple and without distractions.

They got three home cooked meals a day, we read books and of course watched hours of Spongebob Squarepants. I tossed in a couple episodes of “Cosmos” (for me) to mix it up a little. This works because my oldest loves science and started a bone collection from the Cornish hen I made on Friday.

We discussed family heritage and both sides of my family as I am proud of them both and they make great bedtime stories. I encouraged my kids to look into Mom's side as well and share it with me.

Then the oldest told me she wants to be a teacher when she grows up. She listed why:

You teach computers
Grandpa teaches destruction (I had to correct that to construction)
Grandma teaches reading
Mom teaches stuff too...

I added:

“Grandpa on your Mom's side ran a whole school district and her family is full of teachers and coaches
Uncle Bill and Uncle Less on my side taught for over thirty years. Honorary Uncles, Larry, Tim, and John also do what I do. But sometimes the best teacher is the person who just does a simple good thing for a stranger. Quite often it comes at a time when they need it most. It wakes you up and motivates you. Such a thing has recently been done for me.”

She then wrote up a sign that she wants to hang on the front door for next weekend to have people sign up for an art class she can teach to neighborhood kids.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

SD.

No comments:

Post a Comment