Wednesday, September 24, 2014

When keeping fish was a hobby I had Plecos, Oxils and $2 random stuff from sturgeons to petra. One tank was so well balanced I never had to clean it.  

Aquatic / Land hybrids were more challenging.  Eventually I learned that creatures will eat whatever they think they can swallow.  They often over extend themselves.  I pulled a salamander out of the mouth of a toad.  Where was that idiot going to fit that mass?  How did the salamander find itself in that situation?

Sad but true, the Salamander eventually ate the toad and the result was an exit to the next life. I now simplify with a betta fish in his own bowl. "Mr. Bubbles" as my kids call him.  They noticed he makes bubble coverage to protect himself but will not tolerate any one else in his territory.  Then my kids say "Lets give him a girlfriend".

I say "If she likes him then they would be happy together. We would then have bowls all over the house to support offspring. If she doesn't like him she will pick and eat at his fins until he has nothing left..  I am not meaning to sound bitter in what I observe in nature that translates into a Dad's world. I am just calling it as I have experienced it.

The saying goes that girls marry their Dads.  That affects me.  It motivates me to find truth in what I think I am doing well in times of doubt and then value every moment of hugs and kisses I can get. the simple pleasure of the sound of my children laughing is pure energy. When they show me attitude I try to guide while appreciating their spirit yet I worry if they are the salamander that will attack the toad.  Avoidance is the better option and is in touch with instinct or they might marry the man who protects himself too much with emotional shelter and pretends to be something he is not because he does not understand himself.  This happens in both sexes.

My kids have taught me more about life than any other experience I have had. After fourteen years of teaching across our country to every walk of life it amazes me how much my two young children can teach me. A Dad is a student. with Principals and Principles.

I just hope I don't try to swallow a toad.








No comments:

Post a Comment