Monday, December 1, 2014

Then I was taught a business lesson...

While doing homework with Kyra my youngest Alexa was managing "The store"; a service counter of shaved ice for neighborhood friends. $.01 each was the terms of sale.

One kid had no pennies but another investor was willing to go into debt to pay for it and did the same for another. He left the house and a few minutes later came back with three pennies to pay his and theirs.

I did not get into interest or profit because at this point his honor was impressive enough. When I (The CEO) offered him a free one for being honest he refused because he would not accept what he could not pay for.

Kyra then took the pennies for herself and when I tried to take my executive bonus she said "I never asked you to make those sales". She had taken over and is now the true CEO and I am just middle management. After all the kids were not there to see me, they were there for her product and while she was figuring out what 79 + 89 equals Alexa was on the production side serving the customers.

She did not get paid either.

As a consultant I suggested creating a margin. That we raise the price to $.10 per serving but if demand falls than try $.05 per unit but if your staff cannot be paid they will quit and you will have to do it yourself, give in to vultures or fold. In the meanwhile cost per serving must be calculated because now that Dad has been fired he will longer fund the supply chain without securing his investment.

She just looked at me and said "It is all mine".

Stunned I thought to do the old man lecture of who provided the facility, the equipment and the production line but it would have had no benefit. Dad was happy for her confidence and spirit and just watching these kids in action was amazing. So I let it play out.


Do I have a lot to teach her or is she teaching me?

No comments:

Post a Comment