Saturday, December 20, 2014

Am I a music teacher, pupil or both?

The day care center called and said my youngest daughter was sick and asked if I would come get her.  I cancelled my work plans for the day and picked her up.

Both of my daughters enjoy performing. On the drive home Alexa began to sing the chorus from "If you only knew" by Shinedown.

It's 4:03 and I can't sleep
Without you next to me I toss and turn like the sea
If I drown tonight, bring me back to life
Breath your breath in me the only thing I still believe in is you
If you only knew

The artist that wrote that song (Brent Smith) explained it was inspired after a phone call he received letting him know he would soon be a father and this would involve some very serious decisions regarding his travel schedule and lifestyle.  This is not easy but there are times that we are reminded that every moment we have matters.

We spent the afternoon having fun and she showed no signs of being sick.  She requested more songs so I tried to teach her a few more and was amazed at how my four old picked up on the melodies so quickly. I must also say that both my daughters did great at their recent Christmas and song and dance programs so I think a little heavy rock is not beyond their reach.


Later in the day my older daughter spontaneously said "You may be a teacher but don't you think we teach you also?"  I don't know where that comment came from but after hearing of boyfriends and other uncomfortable subjects for a Dad I had to agree. I then negotiated that for the time being my simple mind would have to stick to the basics; not burning the popcorn before watching yet another "Monster High" movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment