Monday, November 25, 2013

Be Thankful, Because You Can

I cried at my kid’s school today. 

Not tears of joy. Tears of overwhelming sadness.  

I was in the back of the auditorium as the entire school gathered for a Monday Morning Meeting.   On the large screen behind our Headmaster, a terrific video played, revealing that our school had won the Project New Hope Challenge. The kids went nuts – cheering, bells ringing, feet stamping – pure joy and pride in their community. Tears ran down my face. My heart was breaking.  All I could think about was the mom who wasn’t there to see her children celebrate.

Two days ago, the awful news starting to seep through the school community.  The worst kind of news – the kind you hope to never get.  A parent at our school had succumbed to Cystic Fibrosis, leaving behind two beautiful children – her fourth grade daughter and fifth grade son. 

I didn’t know Felice well.  We said hello at school events. My parents know her parents.  My wife was just on a field trip with her ex-husband last week. We ran in the same circles, but were never more than acquaintances. Yet, I’m heartbroken over her loss.

As I stood in the back of that auditorium, watching my children stomp their feet, wave their hands in the air, high five the kids around them, smiling ear-to-ear, I cried. Felice is never going to get another chance to stand in the back of the auditorium to see her kids. 

Giving thanks around this time of year is a national tradition.  Being honest, I think some people seem to take the “thanks” part of Thanksgiving for granted.  They are “thankful” to be away from the office.  They are “thankful” for their  football team getting a win.  They are ”thankful” to ingest both pumpkin and apple pie. But who am I to judge what one should be thankful for? Maybe – probably -- I’ve been guilty of these same misgivings in the past.  But not this year. Not me.

I woke up today.  I hugged my children.  And for that, I’m thankful.

I spent the weekend with my kids.  I saw my oldest son perform. I spent time singing and joking around on a car ride with my soon-to-be 11 year old son.  My daughter and I worked on some of her homework together, and she told me stories about her classmates.  My youngest, just two and a half, took me on a walk around our neighborhood – a walk he didn’t want to end…and, truthfully, neither did I. My wife and I, exhausted, still managed to eat dinner together, watch a show or two and enjoy each other’s company.  For all those things, I’m thankful.

I get to do those sorts of things everyday.  Everyday.  Everyday, I spend time with my family. How could I not be thankful for that?

I see people who allow outside conditions to adversely affect their lives.  Money issues, stress from work, family strife, unemployment, another day with the flu or a broken arm or an upset stomach.  I’ve been there.  I know how awful circumstance likes that can be -- how mind-numbingly terrible it is to wake up each day and have to deal with that type of stress.  It can take over your every waking thought.

What I know now is that as long as I get to wake up every day and hug my children and spend time with my wife and experience life with them all – the highs, the lows, everything in between—what I know is that I’ll be thankful for that. Those times will still be difficult.  There will be adversity and disappointments, but, ultimately, I will be thankful to have the day.


I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your loved ones.  Be thankful, because you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment