Saturday, March 15, 2014

Hiking.

I took my daughters to the mountains today and after a gentle hike the weather seemed likely to change so we headed back down.  We did not make it to the waterfalls but one day we will. My "Dad moment" was when we were halfway along the trial, sitting on a rock looking out across the landscape and we just talked. I wanted them to stop and pay attention to the journey and not just the prize.

The landscape of Utah is beautiful but the time with my kids was my gift. I required them to walk ahead of me and the youngest wanted to take the lead.  She lead us up the hill.  She wanted the responsibility, stayed on the path and learned to step aside for others. Just like her Dad does on escalators in airports. My kids were courteous to every person and I am so very proud of them.

Having experiences with my kids allows me to know who they are and I cannot get to know them without allowing them to have some room to breath. The same goes with adult relationships and they will one day be adults also.  I am in no hurry for that.

While we were sitting on that rock I tried to instill in them the benefits of just sitting still.  Take moments to pause and appreciate life and just enjoy it. I am still working on that concept with them and just as I saw the beauty of the mountains we were looking at was the beauty in their eyes and how me needing to teach them is teaching me the same lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment